Adventures & disasters

the happily out-of-date adventures of Lesley

Tuesday, October 31, 2006

All Hallows Eve

Well, the French really have not embraced Hall-o-ween, though they have apparently been trying in the last 5 years or so. I counted seeing about 3 people dressed up, none of them were children. A couple of bars were trying to get into the spirit (hardy har har) but it was a pretty poor showing, I must say.

If you think about Hall-o-ween though, if you hadn't grown up with it, it is a pretty weird celebration to explain. I'm just glad I did grow up with it, so I know first hand of its AWESOMENESS!

I talked with my landlady, who I go to to answer all of my francophile questions.

She explained that many people may think that Hall-o-ween conflicts with a very religious time in France: November 1st is "All Saints' Day", a national holiday honoring the dead.(much like Dia de los Muertos in Mexico) The next day, November 2nd is "All Souls Day" and a day to go to the local cemetery to adorn graves with flowers. The choice of flowers is usually chrysanthemums or marigolds. I asked her if you would ever bring chrysanthemums to give to someone, at a dinner party or something, and she laughed!! Non, she said, in France they are strictly for graveyards.

Hmmm...well, now you know.

More info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_Souls_Day

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home